Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Here's to the birthday boy!

Whew, we've now made it fifteen years and counting!  The brand new high schooler turned 15 years old yesterday.  He's been looking forward to it for weeks.  And, I have to say, it came off well.  We had quite a crowd at our little bitty home - the four of us and about 7-8 others.  For the first time, he had company near his own age at his birthday party and not all of them were cousins.  We had his requested meal - spaghetti wtih sub rolls (I also added salad and garlic bread) - plus the birthday cake and ice cream.  I thought, given the number of people and our tiny house, as well as the lovely day, that we should set up on the deck.  We so and... almost everybody froze.  Once the sun went down it was VERY chilly!  I'm not used to the fact that it no longer feels like summer even if it is (barely) still actually summer.  I've made a mental note to remember that for next year - birthday party must be inside because it will be COLD.  All the boys, at least, seemed quite comfortable - mostly because they were either running around outside or inside playing video games.  It was just the grown-ups who were shivering and, unfortunately, I didn't really realize it until too late because I was standing over the stove until time to actually eat. 

(BTW, the spaghetti sauce was made fresh from the garden and was the reason I only canned 5 quarts of sauce this weekend.)

Anyway, that was yesterday's excitement.  It was nice to visit with the relatives for a few minutes.  We speak to them all often enough, but usually just for a particular reason, not so much to just chat and, well, visit.  I enjoyed it.  It was also nice to see the DF's good friend and his sons.  I was very glad that my precious boy enjoyed his birthday and it was nice that he had a good turn out at such an important milestone.  He certainly cleaned up with the presents!

Oh, forgot to mention, the DF was trying to get his rifle sighted in off the back deck.  That was VERY loud, despite the wargame videos the boys were playing.  He'd set up a target just past the apple tree and next to the lower field.  It wasn't until I looked down at the target that I noticed an old door just standing next to the fence line, for all the world looking like it went somewhere.  According to Grandma, it used to separate one enclosure from another back when the two fields were part of the old deer farm.  (I'd forgotten about that, actually.  I wonder if the fact that those areas used to be a deer farm helps account for either the obvious fertility of the soil where the gardens are and/or the fact that the deer don't bother the garden much?  Hmmm...we still see deer in the lower field, but not in the upper one where the tomatoes are.)  Anyway, the door looks to be an old storm door so you can see through it to the brush and woods behind it.  Rather Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe looking, kind of...  And, no, it hadn't been standing there all along.  The DF was mowing and bush-hogging down that way this weekend and stood it up from where it had been lying out of sight.  Perhaps the next time I'm picking down in the lower garden, I'll look more closely at it. 

TTFN - :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment