Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting up to speed...

Almost a month since the last post.  It's hard to get into new habits.  Now that canning is FINALLY over, we're getting ready for winter and settling in.  The days are markedly shorter and definitely colder.  I can no longer enjoy sitting outside on the deck.  I'm trying to make myself do some sewing each night (and, of course, on weekends).  I'm matching some of the gazillion 5" square charms that I have been receiving in swaps for the last year, as well as ones from at least 15 years ago, into HST sets, cutting them into triangles and sewing them together.  I do the matching during my lunch hour at work (good light), then cut, then sew, press and trim to size.  I've been doing these in batches and it's now getting difficult to find good matches.  I may have to give this a bit of a rest while I cut something else out to sew together.  Once I get sewing, it's nice to have some mindless piecing to do.  I have matched some 4 and 5 sets into 9 patches.  But, this is just leader-ender stuff.  I've almost caught up on my bee blocks - one more September block to do, and then start on October's.  I promised to do some Harry Potter paper-pieced blocks that are somewhat daunting, but I know they probably won't be as difficult as I fear.  I just need to get started. 

Fall is rapidly moving on to Winter - the trees were gorgeous for a very short while and are now mostly on the ground.  Frost is present most mornings when we leave the house. 

The 15yo has made it onto Student Council which he enjoys, so far.  (I'm so very proud of him!)  He seems to be keeping up with his homework.  He is also in some demand up here on the Hill to assist in getting ready for winter.  He's been helping Uncle A across the street put in extra insulation and doing lots of yard cleanup at home and at Grandma's.  His language is terrible and he seems to think he can say whatever he wants.  I usually yank him off of whatever game he's playing and send him outside when it gets too bad.  Since the DF's mouth is at least as bad (and as uncontrolled), it's difficult to try to break him of the habit - although I blame the games mostly.  I think some further emphasis on confession with Fr. A might be appropriate. 

The 6yo is doing so well in school, too.  He brought home a progress report of 100% and a spelling test with the same grade.  AWESOME!  He seems to enjoy his homework and is very diligent about doing it.  His entitlement attitude seems to need some adjustment, however.  He doesn't seem to realize how lucky he is to be living up here, to be surrounded by people who love him, to have all the toys and possessions he has, etc.  He just wants MORE and throws horrible kicking fits if we don't react to suit him.  The constant whining is very trying on the nerves. 

Our very small house is going to get even smaller VERY QUICKLY as winter sets in if some of these attitudes aren't eased a bit!

So far, so good! 

Oh, canning totals:  46 qts of tomato sauce (spicy and not), 8 pints of apple butter, 7 of apple plum jam, 9 of grape jam, 8 of apple raspberry jam, 12 lbs of frozen corn, 5 gallons of frozen tomato stock/juice.  Have I missed anything?     

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting account of life in rural USA..I'm in UK so interested in 'real life' over there, rather than what we hear on the news! I bet a few quilt photos would increase your followers!!

    ReplyDelete